19.9.08

m|sadventure |n the sand

Its supposed to be my favourite day of the week.
Thursday.
I am a Thursday die-hard fan.But today, its somehow become the longest Thursday ever!

18 Ramadan.
I went to an interview at Dubai Knowledge Village (DKV) on Wednesday.
That was, well.. a nice experience, minus the expensive Taxi ride (DH127 to and fro).
I wont be talking about it, as i managed to get a second interview today.

Did the same thing as Wednesday.
Woke up for sahur at 3.50am, iron my clothes, Fajr, nap for an hour, and went off with my friend. Except, today, the interview is at 11am. Julie, the Philippines woman who interviewed me gave me the landmark - Silver Building, behind Abu Hail Centre (AHC), in front of Automatic restaurant, office number 3, Mezzanine floor. When asked the name of the road - she said "I think its Abu Hail Road mam... and if u are lost, please call me at this number and i will guide you there". Fair enough.

Out of home at 7.30am. Arrived at Prosecution Department of Dubai (PDD), same place as Dubai Court - my friend's site office - at 8.50am. I planned to kill my time here till 10am by eye balling Arabs/expart in the PDD. :)

Everything goes ok. I spoke to my friend before i went off, he gave me a few interview tips, and off i go... finding a cab. Not too long (+-15 minutes), as PDD is a 'popular' place, hence cab isnt a problem. "Abu Hail Centre" said Aida. "Naam" said the taxi Driver - "Maktoum Bridge of Floating Bridge?" "Whats the different? Maktoum pls"" i love the Shaikh" - The last statement i said it in my mind, of course.

5 minutes drive. Ok.. cool.. ample time.. now.. where is The Silver building? On my mind, of course, im searching for a silver coloured building. Hmm.. BEHIND AHC eh.. ok.. lets walk.. sigh..i have my 3" heels..why???

Anyhow.. walked to the side of the building. Ok..theres a door saying its "Silver Home Building". Stepped in. Saw the directory board "HR consulting -M06-M07". Is this it? Where's the Automatic restaurant? Lift..to M floor pls...One round...no number 3!

Second round, i heard "Yes my sister".. erkk.. the guard is talking to me. So... politely "Im searching for Office No 3, for Euromatec?". Hmm... guard look confused. Bad sign..wheres the lift just now?

Alhamdulillah, guard is a nice one. Stopped a woman (another Pinoy), and asked if her office is somehow called Euromatec, any staff named Razeef? Pinoy look confused "We have too many staff mam.. i dun think so, but we are not Euromatec". Fair enough... i am ready to go searching again.

Guard asked - U got the phone number sister? Of course. Here it is. Come with me. ooo... walked behind good Guard. He took his phone, and asked me for the number. I gave him my handset (i am not known as a person who remember numbers). He rolled his eyes. "This number in Dubai sister, this is Deira". I make my eyes smaller and said "yes, i know. This number belongs to the other office, I am here for an interview with the Head office".

Ok. Understood. He called Julie and la la la la.. He made notes. Put down the phone and asked me, "are you familiar with the place?". What a question. I kept my smiling face anyway. Thinking that i didnt need his help. I am so ready to go and explore. Cant he see my heels?I said "Not really". Ok.. good guard looked at his colleague and then to me "go to the reception area. I will come in 3 minutes, ill bring u there". Ok. Why not, ek?So happen that he finished his shift, that is.

So i followed good guard, for the second time of the day. Julie dear, of u are reading, no way on earth the Silver building is behind AHC. Automatic restaurant is not opposite of the Silver Building. Its in the South East of the building. Help Julie, Galileo! Thank you thank you good guard.

So far so good, so nice, i so in love with Thursday still. Went to M floor. Renovation! But ok.. lots of ppl. Arab guy asked me "come for interview?" What else? Heh.. Yes, with Razeef pls. To his subordinate - Call Razeef. Pls sit. OK. Can u stop drilling? Hehe

Razeef came (i think he is Razeef). Commented on the renovation process with the Arab guy. Said to the wall, eyes on me "We have a Malaysian Candidate coming for an interview today". Aida said "U can tell from my attire?" "No..i have your resume on my desk". Arab guy come to the conversation "Malaysia? Where at?" Kuala Lumpur. Nice. Which part u stay? U know Ampang? Ampang, yes... ha ha ha. Ok.. so uve been there, big deal.

Razeef, one hand on Arab's shoulder - Kuala Lumpur is our second Dubai. Ok.. Dubai is my second Kuala Lumpur (on my mind, again, of course..i dun wanna fail my interview at the reception area). Theres a few other candidates there, and they were looking at me. I smiled. Kinda telling "the job is mine babies...". Ha ha ha ha

After waited for 40 minutes, i was called.
A Philippines guy, by the name of Christopher came in and we talked. Was a nice one. He asked a lot of questions, and i answered, well, since its ramadan, i cant lie, told him a few half truth.

Interesting new job. I had an opinion that they are an HR Consulting company, u know, the one that interview people and then send them to other companies and gain commission. Well, i am wrong. I am interviewed for a position in that company. Whoooppyy!! I like... Their main business is in HR Trainings, and i am interviewed for the Administration Dept. Cool! I love being a planner. Theres chances of travelling too.. and ahem.. be a trainer later on? :)

1 hour with Christopher. Charming. He said he love (ahem..love, not like) my smile. And my confidence (he made me feel like im his friend) and so on. Anyhow, if i manage to get an offer, ill know next week, insyaAllah.

The 1 hour-ended at 12.30noon, is a good Thursday that i love. The remaining of the day - a complete mess.

There's four MAJOR thing that i hate about Dubai and they are all related.
1. Traffic Jam
2. Taxi
3. Bloody drivers
4. Road constructions

12.30noon.Dubai. Ramadan. Its HOT. Jammed. The drivers is honking like mad.
And Aida is hailing for a cab home. Sharjah? No.. too much traffic.
Hailed another cab, no Sharjah, ok.

Walk, try another locations. 2 hours, blazing sun, walked and try to figure out of i am at the right side of the road.2.30pm. Called my friend. Going home soon? No aida, today ill go home may be at 9pm. Fine, ill try again.

Ahh.. Ramada hotel. Go in. Walked like i own the place. Sat down at the good fluffy reception sofa. 10 minutes, Aida, dont fall asleep. Times up. In front of the hotel now.. try to hail a cab again. No avail. Ok..lets walk. I realised i came back to the Silver Building. I feel like i am filming the Blair Witch Project!

Called another friend. What should i do? Bus? Where? How? I never bus here. Sigh, i dont want to talk to you, you are not helping (yeah, he was on his way from Abu Dhabi to Dubai, no hope).

Saw a masjed. Cool. I need to pray. Went in.. air cond..alhamdulillah. Prayed. Toing..idea... lets stay in here at least till the honking stopped.

3.53pm, Asar. Prayed. My Abu Dhabi friend called. Where are you. Still here. Here where? Behind AHC. Ok.. Im at Bur Dubai. Wanna come for iftar?Why not. The honking hadnt stopped.

Ok.. Taxi or Bus to Bur Dubai, ill wait. Ill try.
God, i really tried. Called my friend. I am still here. Its 4.40!
OK.. i will take taxi to u at AHC.
Ok, now, ill wait.
5.30pm - Aida, still no taxi.
6.00pm - Aida, im still at Bur Dubai. If its iftar time, go buy some drinks, dont eat, wait for me. Ok.. Coke pls!! In my beg it goes, and to the Masjed again.

6.27pm, azan. Break my fast.
Maghrib.
7pm. My friend called. He is still there!!
Can i just go home? No. Please wait.

A guy approached.U need taxi? (Taxi drivers in Dubai wear uniforms and they dont do this asking, its the other way around).

No, im waiting for a friend. Ok.One round. He is in front of me again.Aida is tired and hungry.
How far is Bur Dubai from here? Are u driving a taxi?
Yes, Bur Dubai is not that far.
Ok, im calling my friend to ask if they managed to get a taxi, ok.
U still there? Ok, ill come to u, i have a cab, now talk to the driver on your location.

Ok.. so it is not a taxi. Just a pakistani man wanna make an extra income, doing 'car lift business'. Ok. No hal.
Went to Bur Dubai, of course, some conversation (background check is more appropriate) with the driver.
Im arrived. How much?
Free sister, i like talking to u. Here is my number, if you finished here and want to go back to Sharjah, call me, ill send u.
In your dream.

So free ride..kinda like Thursday again.
My friends. How pity us are.I waited since 12.30noon for a cab.U guys waited since 4.40pm. What should we eat to celebrate?

Briyani. Yum Yum. HUGE portion. We should just order one, share among us three.

8.25pm. Let us send you home. Let us find you a cab.
Gosh.. again? Should i show the taxi driver my tight this time?
3 cabs. Sharjah? Too much traffic (again).

Bus Aida!But i never bus here. What if i get lost?
You wont.So ok. Ill try.

Cute small bus. Reminds me of Bali.
The best thing? DHs5 and ladiesssssssssssssssssss firts. No need to Q ladies.Woohoo..

So...bus i go.Till Sharjah City Center.And guess what?I still need to hail a cab home.
But of course, alhamdulillah, it is better.

1. Sharjah to Sharjah - what heavy traffic at 9.30pm?
2. Shopping centre - taxi line..superb

So.. i counted. My turn was at the 17th taxi. Not bad. No hailing required.

At Taawun road pls. Pakistani again, so little english.
U turn, sister?
Fly if u can please.

Arrived at 9.52pm. Its a 10 minutes drive.Dhs7.25.
I only have a DH100 note.
The cab driver only have DH40 change.
What worst can happen now?
I go change. U wait.

I know the driver think - there goes my fare.
But i am tooooo happy to be in his cab that i ran cross the road to a shop, changed my money and gave the driver a Dh10 note, with a sweet smile and two sorries.
One by me, one by him.

And now.. hot showered, sipping luke warm water and tired eyes, blistering foot, aching shoulders.

And Thursday is o.v.e.r.

1 comment:

a.i.d.a. said...

Btw, my two friends, waited for a taxi at Bur Dubai - One person at the different sides of the road. Baked for 2 and half hours. And still no luck.

Pity them :(